This is a place where you can share memories of Miles Strodel.
Sunday, June 29, 2008
We have been blown away by the amount of folks who have been calling and leaving e-mails for Strodel family members. Some of the stories told need to be shared, so we thought it would be nice to create a blog where the stories could be enjoyed by many folks.
Please feel free to leave a comment for others to enjoy and add to the memories we enjoy about Miles.
Click on "Comments" below to leave your thoughts and memories.
61 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Growing up with Donna through the years, Miles was my second dad. The memories of this amazing man are just too many to count...
Miles was a man of integrity, character and leadership whose legacy will live on in more lives than any of us will know this side of eternity.
My thoughts and prayers are with Grace, Bobby and Debbie and their children, David and Joan and their children, and of course my sweet Donna and Brian and their family.
How precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of this saint. There is a welcome stored up for Miles as he crossed over to the next chapter of his life. I am so thankful that he persevered in his life and triumphed in his death.
It was 1979 and I was the Riding Director. I have many fond memories of Camp Brookwoods/Deer Run and Miles Strodel. For the past almost 30 years, I have been traveling the USA and working as a riding instructor and horse trainer. I still relish my memories and photos of the Camp and remember what a fabulous time everyone had there as well as the deep truths in Christianity that were presented there. These left impressions on everyone's heart. It was from my own experience at Camp Brookwoods/Deer Run with Miles' influence that I have dedicated my own talents with horses into a Christian ministry.
It is amazing what Miles' hard work, prayers and life have done to contribute to the lifeblood of Jesus at Brookwoods and everything else connected to this dream and reality. Thank you to his wife and children and other family members who have supported him in his work/your work/our work = God's work.
You all are in my thoughts and prayers. May God be especially close to you all at this time.
The first time we met Miles was at an information night about Brookwood's in Massachusetts. Our son Andrew was only about 7 at the time and when Miles extended a friendly handshake, Andrew shyly shook his hand while looking at the ground. With out saying a word, Miles kept hold of that hand until Andrew made eye contact. Miles taught Andrew the importance of eye contact and a firm handshake with out saying a word. These are the quiet ways that he mentored young people. Mile's legacy has certainly impacted our family with two sons whose lives were changed in the LDP program,
Miles was just a fixture at Brookwoods, I just remember him trying to get to know every camper as he dedicated himself to being all places, dining hall, front law, waterfront... he was always around listening and learning. He will be missed.
My memories of Miles are many but two come to mind. One was watching Miles hit the arts and crafts building with monster home runs and the other was trying to sneak past the Eagle cabin and up to Deer Run. Our biggest fear was what might happen if Miles caught us.The last few days I've heard Miles' voice in my ear and picture him in my mind with his Chicago Cubs hat on. Second only to my parents, Miles and the staff at Brookwoods were a major influence in my life and I thank The Lord for them.
During the summer of 1991 I was an troubled international Camp Counsellor at Deer Run, running away from my life back in the UK.
On one occasion I sought the help and advice of “Uncle Miles” in a fatherly role, wandering into his office and because of the fear he would send this ‘not-perfect’ counsellor home; bursting into uncontrollable tears as I opened my mouth to seek his help. He so patiently listened to my sob story (of my ex-boyfriend from home) gave me a tissue to wipe my nose, and came up with the perfect solution. “Uncle Miles” called my ex-boyfriends father and talked ‘Father-to-Father’ with him on my behalf. Never did he even mention sending me home.
For the rest of the summer he would cryptically ask every now and then “How are you?” and he knew when I said I was “great thanks”, with a big old smile on my face, that things were okay in my world once more. What he didn’t know was, this was the first time in my life when I realised how my God, could be a ‘Father’ God, which up until this point had been my biggest issue with God; never having had a healthy relationship with my own Dad. "Uncle Miles" showed me no judgement, only pure compassion, respect and love in such a life changing fashion I will forever hold his memory dear as ‘the man who took 20 minutes out of his day, once, to act like my father.’ A blessing he might never know he gave me, but one I will never forget.
It's been more than 50 years since the Lord directed my path to a small patch of holy ground on 20 Garden Street in Cambridge where He would use giants such as Belle Strickland, Grace Pierson and Miles Strodel to change my life eternally. Half a century later, not a day goes by when I am not aware of how indebted I am to them. How good it is to know, there is coming a day when, in the words of songwriter Ray Boltz, I will be able to seek them out and tell them from the bottom of a grateful heart, "Thank you for giving to the Lord; I am a life that was changed."
The early 70's were a time when this country was trying to re-identify itself and its values amid the pressures and the ending of the Viet Nam War. One of my 'harbors in the storm' and a strong cornerstone to grab on to was Lexington Christian Academy helmed by Miles Strodel. I,as others,remember those times fondly for they were the most important years of my life. I have reflected many times on how proud Mr. Strodel was to have hosted the workouts for the Boston Celtics in our gymnasium during those years. The look in his eyes as he watched them and shared not only his school but his life with them is an indellable memory of mine. Thank you Mr. Strodel
As I remember my days at CHS back in the 50's, one person stands out as being so instrumental in changing my life…that was Miles Strodel. As mentor, father confessor, father substitute, and friend, I grew in the Lord because of his constant witness to me. Whether we were on fun trips with the cheerleaders and basketball players, working on the yearbook, or clowning around at 1000 Acres on our class trip, Miles always exemplified a godly man following the Lord’s lead.
But there is one memory that will forever stay in my heart and mind and that happened just a couple of years ago. We were back in New England for our 50th class reunion and several of us, along with Grace, stopped at Carlton Willard Village to visit with Miles. He had been a resident there for the past 3 years. He was in bed, unable to raise his head to look at us and did not speak. We spent a few minutes talking to him and reminiscing about our collective past, and then I prayed for him. When I finished, Grace asked him if he’d like to pray. He indicated that he would. I put my ear right next to his mouth and as he whispered, I heard the most beautiful prayer of worship, praise, and dedication to the Lord that I had ever heard. Right to the end, with body racked by Parkinson’s, Miles’ mind and heart were as strong as ever and totally committed to our Lord. I wept.
There are giants of the faith that we all recognize as epitomizing true Christian character; DL Moody, Billy Graham, Jim Dobson to name a few. I would add Miles Strodel to that list. I look forward to seeing him again when Jesus calls us home.
Miles was the first person who encouraged me to utilize my gifts for the Kingdom. In a day and age when women in leadership were non-existent, Miles encouraged me to catch the vision of how God could use me, and the gifts He'd given me. Miles served as a wonderful mentor to so many of us, particularly during the 1980s. We would catch him sweeping off the back porch, long after counselors and other staff had retired to their cabins. Miles epitomized servant leadership - always looking out for a way to serve and help others. Lastly, Miles was one of the most compassionate people I've met. He empathized with those who struggled, and encouraged those who were beaten down. He functioned as a second Dad to so many of us - especially those of us who did not come from believing families. I have missed Miles for a long time....but at least now I am content to know that he is in the presence of our Maker. Although some envision heaven as a place where we spend "time" singing in choral unison, I have a feeling that some of the best places on earth might be perfected there. Perhaps Miles has located some remote corner of heaven that looks like Chibougamau, where he continues his pursuit of the largest northern pike available...all for the glory of God!
I attended Camp Brookwoods from 1965-1972,and it was a wonderful time in my life. The beautiful setting on the lake,the surrounding area and the many adventures in camping,mountain climbing,swimming,so much more. Miles was the leader of that camp in so many ways. I have memories of him,his brother Woody,Uncle JJ,and many others who had a very profound and lasting influence on my life. Miles cared deeply about each camper there,along with the staff and the camp itself. He inspired the many wonderful counselers that served at Brookwoods during my time there,men of strong Christian faith and integrity. I remember many happy times there,and I am grateful for those summers and the influence Miles (and the Lord through Miles)had on my life. He will be missed by many.
When I first became a camp director in New England, "Miles Strodel" was a name that was respected and known throughout the area. I was fortunate to have him as a colleague.
When I became a national staff member of the American Camp Association, Miles' name again appeared in section leadership and then as a member of the (then) National Standards Board. He represented Christian camping as well as his beloved New England.
Miles was known to us in ACA as a quiet and thoughtful leader, sensitive to the educational values of camp, and the deep spiritual influence of the camp experience.
I am better for knowing him and his family, and God's work moved forward under his sensitive leadership.
It is clear from other comments that many have been touched by his life, attitudes, integrity, and influence. May we have the grace and strength to move forward with his memory motivating our action and attitude.
I am so, so sorry to hear this. MILES STRODEL CHANGED AND IMPACTED THE LIVES OF A TON OF US! He was like a father, a minister, a counselor, a guide, a disciplinarian (when we were out of order) but most of all a Christian model – AND – the best definition of Christian love, grace and friendship that ever walked the earth. I used to pray that whatever sin Miles had…I WANTED!! Like Bob Baptista and Joe Bean…I really can’t figure out what their sin is?? Mine, I know…and the catalog is thick! Theirs: Not possible. I know they sinned but, to this day, I really, really do not know what it was! (Gracie too, by the way!) I served under Miles/Gracie (and his brother Woody for 13 years – as their Program Director, soccer/basketball/waterfront/rifle instructor/cabin counselor and anything they asked me to do. He was a great baseball prospect (with the Cubs, I think…) but because of as childhood accident - and a broken arm too tightly wrapped with an ace bandage – when he fell off a table and broke it as a baby…he grew up with a withered right arm. His paralytic-like handshake did nothing to raise questions because his left arm was like steel and he learned to hit left-handed and could rip the ball with fury!! He made phenomenal successes of struggling camp programs – first at Camp Sandy Hill (in Maryland) and then Camp Brookwoods for boys and camp Deer Run for girls in Alton bay, NH on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee. He also was a masterful Headmaster at Brown and Nichols school in Lexington, MA where he and Gracie lived in the ‘off’-season (September to June!)But when CAMP TIME came around each summer…we all headed to camp – to be inspired and led by Miles. (We used to reverse the pronunciation of people's names and had a lot of fun with Selim Ledorts!!!) We loved him. And to the last breath I somehow know that beautiful mind inside was still pounding out the steps to the Kingdom for the Lord Jesus he loved!!!I shall miss him so. Gracie, I love you and pray fpor you. Uncle Nubby
The individual who most shaped my character growing up was Miles Strodel. I remember this tall guy who spoke with me after I took the test for LCA over by the Commander Hotel in Harvard Square. I spent much of the next six years with him going to school and then Brookwoods in the summer. I grew to surpass his height but always hope I can live up to his expectations of me.
There was a lot of fun. All the doubletalk he would do while we were in the Ford station wagon on the way to Brookwoods or after a game. Of course never before a game. What about that sophisticated hybrid triangle and 2 defense he prepared for the Browne and Nichols game.
Whenever I have had a difficult time in my life I have always depended and drawn on many of the lessons I learned from him. Those lessons have served me well. Miles you will always be in my heart and mind.
I clearly recall the day in the spring of 1970 when Mr. Strodel (I just can't call him "Miles") took my parents aside in the front hallway of LCA and gave them some advice about my education that changed the direction of my life. I was surprised to realize that he was paying attention to me, and as it turned out, his perceptions were right. And that despite the fact that it was pretty clear I was never going to be any help to his basketball team. :-)
He paid attention. I will always owe him for that.
So many memories of “Uncle Miles”, a man I had so much respect for growing up every summer at camp. I remember him giving worship on Sunday mornings, his presence in the dining hall and his patrol of the grounds in the orange jeep to name a few. Later on when I was a CIT and then on staff I got to know him better and looked forward to the occasional chats we would have. He always took such an interest in how you were doing. I will never forget his ramblings he would go on where he would start talking about the most random things where you looked at each other and just started laughing, I wish I could remember one now. Miles, Grace and the entire Strodel family have been such fixtures at Brookwoods/DeerRun and that continuity was appreciated year to year. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire family.
Words can not express the major impact he had on my life through my interactions with him and my observations of him as a Headmaster and Coach.
When I think of Coach Stodel, I think of another great coach, John Wooden who said, "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail". Miles prepared us for life. He will not be forgotten.
As mentioned in other blogs, my biggest memory of Uncle Miles was him riding around in the orange jeep as well as running the dining hall meals and worship service on Sundays.
I remember every summer, I would reintroduce myself to him on the first day of camp only to have him tell me, he never forgot in the first place!
He is a man that will truly never be forgotten within my Brookwoods/Deer Run family.
DR camper (Whitetail through Pronghorn up to 1998).
Absolutely none of the words already written here in memories of Miles surprise me in the least. If I worked at it, I could probably figure how old I actually was when Miles first arrived - along with an incredible retinue of camp followers - at Brookwoods from Sandy Hill. Whatever young age I was, I remember how incredible was Miles as an answer to my dad's prayer for someone with the heart, vision, drive, call - and time and willingness to sacrifice financially - to shoulder the responsibility of Director of Brookwoods, (and later, Deer Run). It was far more than a 9-week-per-year undertaking...it was 9 weeks and the rest of the year given to cleaning, up, evaluating, planning and preparing for the next 9 weeks. (Ultimately, of course, it evolved into a full year with a much broader focus. But the heart of it all was always those precious summer months when kids were available for an investment in their lives that could impact them for the next 70 years...and for eternity.)
And that's exactly what Miles (and Grace!) brought to those couple hundred acres of property and that vision of changed lives first entrusted to my dad when he had himself been a young boy.
Miles, you were so thoroughly committed to impacting and changing kids' lives through every aspect of the camp. You carried a broad - and always broadening vision - of all the things it took to make that goal a reality. You genuinely loved and respected the lives entrusted to you - both camper and counsellors. And you so clearly loved the call God had placed in your heart.
I also remember the grace to deal with...let's see, carry a sleeping Nubby on his cot from the Bear cabin & setting it down in the shallow water of the "Little Beach"....a few young counselors or JC's sneaking over to watch the night's performance of the sleepwalking camper on/at station WOLF...handling the discipline for those who unaccountable sank the Lolly. The jumble of is way too ungainly to sort out this side of heaven!
But there is one question I'm going to ask for sure when I see Miles - and he's in an expansive mood.
"Miles, when you assigned that particular group of boys in the Woodchuck Cabin, was it because you thought I was the best person to deal with them...or was it deliberate punishment?"
More than anything, Thank you, Miles, for loving Jesus and for working with everything you had to open the doors of kids' lives to that real and incredible love. Over and over again. Year after year.
How sad to hear of Mile's passing. We did so many things together in ACA. We took our Instructor's course together,as a matter of fact we roomed together.Miles and I served on the National Standards Committee for a number of years and instructed standards courses together.He was a gentle giant and a man of faith He will be sorely missed.May his memory serve as a blessing. George Marcus
I was a Deer Run camper back in the early 1980s for four summers.
My favorite memories of Uncle Miles were his no-nonsense way of sharing his thoughts. I can clearly remember sitting in a whole camp meeting in basement of the Deer Run Lodge and him telling us importance of daily prayer, giving thanks to the Lord, and being a good role model and citizen to others - using honesty and respect, how using curse words doesn't represent yourself fairly, and making your camping experience memorable.
He honestly cared about each person- how they represented themselves and treated others. He always said what he meant and didn't beat around the bush. You could tell he was serious when he spoke, but he was also very funny.
Thank you Miles for the wonderful camp memories and for caring so much. Thank you for your honesty, respect, leadership, guidance and sense of humor. You will live on in our hearts and thoughts.
From the time I was a camper all the way through my CIT and counselor years, I always stood in awe of Uncle Miles. Not only was he much taller than myself but I could never quite locate the "left handed pitcher squeezer" I was sent to the kitchen to find one night at dinner. He had a great sense of humor!
I also had tremendous respect for Miles. You could see the kindness and compassion in his eyes. You knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he deeply cared for boy and girl at camp.
My thoughts and prayers are with with Strodel family. Thank you Miles for being a true servant and leader for so many of us.
I met Miles for the first time in the late 90's when he so graciously offered the Dining Hall as a place where our Homeowners Association could have our annual meeting. My husband and I knew very little about the camp at that time and even less about the Lord. I am so thankful to God for Miles and his vision for Camp Brookwoods as a place where my sons would eventually come as campers and hear the truth about Christ.
We will remember Miles fondly and will keep your family in our prayers.
I remember Uncle Miles standing up at the front of the dining hall and saying, "Today is 8/8/88." I was 11. As a result, every time I write an interesting date on the board (I am a teacher), I think of him. It was an honor to attend and work at the camp while he was there. Molly Pease
my memories of uncle miles go back to the age of 7 when my parents became part of the brookwoods family. my first intro to uncle miles was when he showed me the moose that hung in the foyer of the dining hall- he made a point of telling me that his back end was still attached and sticking out into the old garage. i believed him and all the many stories he would tell.
he was a larger than life figure, but at the same time there was a gentle and quiet spirit about him. a man you could always rely on, he was faithful and consistent in his words and in his love.
because of the investment he made in our lives, i am able to pass down a piece of that to my children and for that i am grateful.
to the strodel family and to aunt grace- i love you all dearly. may God continue to use you as you futher His work and that of your earthly father.
I was 21 and not sure where I would spend my summer. My high school buddy Greg Arthur had suggested earlier in the year that I apply for staff at Brookwoods, so I had. I was visiting a camp in the panhandle of Texas when Uncle Miles tracked me down, having called a few places to get the number where I was. He offered me a job, and I accepted. That was the first year that Bob would be running camp with Miles stepping back a bit. Because I worked at Brookwoods for four summers, I met my wife Cherith, and the rest is history. I only got to work with Uncle Miles for two years, but he had an impact on my life, not only in the course I would take, but in the kind of man I would strive to be. God bless.
"The rocks are hard; the water is wet" he used to say before the trips to Canada and Maine. And now a celebration in heaven for the kind-hearted leadership, service, and ever-present display of Christ's love that he shared with everyone around him.
I have many fond memories of Uncle Miles, from trotting around the Back Field after bombing a ball into the woods, sharing who Christ is to my cabin under the brown banners in the Rec Hall, sputtering along the trails with Spanky and the Orange Jeep, having a heart-to-heart about how to practically walk our Faith in everyday life around the campfire at Inspiration Point, to sitting on the Diving Pier rail in fellowship with staff after bringing the Mustang back off the lake.
I am sure Miles touched many lives, like my own, both through his teaching and love for the outdoors, filled with Christ's truth throughout his ministry and witness. He will be missed dearly. It is a joy to celebrate his life, his character, his integrity, and his heart.
Miles was a great teacher, coach and friend to all of us students. I remember how he made sure I was part of the basketball team. He knew that I had a mild case of memingism and was told by doctors that I could not try out for cheerleading. Miles found out and asked me to be the scorekeeper for the varsity basketball team. I did the job for three years. He was a great listener and showed great compassion in a quiet way. He will be greatly missed by many. He touched manylives at CHS, Camp Sandy Hill, Brookwoods and Deer Hill. God will richly bless him and Grace.
It was easy to look up to Miles, literally and figuratively. During our years as colleagues in CCI (now CCCA), and ACA, I grew to appreciate his gentle spirit, quiet wisdom, and keen insights.
It was my privilege to visit Brookwoods/Deer Run during the summer 1986. Miles warmly welcome me and personally gave me a tour of the site. As we entered the dining hall, his love for fun, laughter, and the reality of God's Word for daily life was manifested by his interaction with campers and staff.
CCCA and ACA are definitely richer from the legacy Miles invested in these associations. No doubt he is singing around the heavenly campfire with other camping leaders who have gone before him and he will remember his campers and staff by name as they join him. May God's grace and comfort and sustain the Strodel family and Brookwoods/Deer Run staff as you adjust to this loss.
Blessings,
Linda C. Byrd Consultant with CCI Latin America Panama City, Panama
Miles told me once that the most common topic Christian youth would raise with him alone was their desire to do something with their lives which "counted" for God.
Although Miles has gone to glory, he leaves us the precious example of his life - a life that truly "counted" in building God's Kingdom.
My condolences to the Strodel family. We will all miss Miles as we solemnly rejoice in remembering a life well lived.
When I think about Miles, there are many memories that warm the heart. He was a visionary who loved all kids. He knew when to be light-hearted and when to be stern, but most importantly when a fatherly talk was needed. I remember the first time I met Miles. His commanding presence intimidated me. Over the years working at camp as a nurse I grew to love him as my mentor and friend. He was a great leader who knew how to bring out the best in each of us. He saw the raw potential and allowed us to flourish under his guidance. You wanted to do your best because you knew he appreciated your efforts. (I still have one of the cards he wrote me after camp thanking me for my work) He also was supportive in helping you discern what steps needed to be taken when situations didn't go the way they they should have. He did this without judgement or condemnation. Under his care I learned the difference between excellence and perfection. For me, that has made all the difference and became the person I am today because of this.
One life in service to his Savior and to those entrusted under his care have touched thousands. Each of us whose life he has touched has been gifted with the responsibility to pass it on. Miles you are forever in our hearts. Grace- Thank you so much for your faithful service to us and Miles. You are just the kind of wife and co-partner Miles needed in the pursuit of the precious ministry. He could not have done it without you. My heart grieves with you. You are in my thoughts and prayers Love, Pat Brown)Fleming
Miles was my inspiration during the early days of Portsmouth Christian Academy. He took the time to share with me the stories about the early days of Lexington Christian Academy, and encouraged me to persevere even though we were going throuugh rough times at the school. He noted that LCA had a similar trials and tribulations and that leaning, and waiting and trusting, on the Lord would bring good results. I was deeply grateful for the generous amount of time he took to share, and the wisdom he was so willing to impart. Christian education in NE has lost a great leader and pioneer. May he rest gently in the arms of his Lord and Savior.
Meeting Miles for the first time as a new kitchen staffer in 1989, I felt like he embodied the very character of God as I imagined it - a commanding yet inviting voice, a disarming smile and that shock of silvery white hair! So much wisdom and authority, yet so approachable and brimming with God's Grace. And what a partner in ministry is Grace! His lot in heaven is secure, and I trust he's preparing the ropes course for when we join him in Glory.
Miles was a quiet, steady, lead-by-example, Jesus-style leader. His impact on my life came through three avenues. First, as a builder/developer of Brookwoods, Miles created an environment where I made my own profession of faith in Christ. Second, as a Dad, Miles invested in three great kids - all of whom I had various degrees of privilege working with in youth group. And finally, as a church member, Miles was quick to offer encouragement as - in my earliest years - I got to preach for my first times.
Our prayers and love go out to the extended Strodel family, especially Grace. Paul (and Christie) Borthwick
Miles Strodel...father, mentor, coach, fan, advisor, the boss, the servant,... He was all of these to me, plus maker of merriment and magic, as well as matrimony facilitator. Who can forget weddings at Brookwoods/Deer Run? My husband, Larry, and I had ours there twenty-three years ago and Miles made it happen so that friends and family from Vermont and Mass. could meet halfway as we stood on sacred ground. Miles always knew that about camp; it is sacred ground, and he always showed and protected that respect. Miles loved those magical, creative moments born of crazy schemes concocted by ambitious program directors and unit leaders, and he loved even more to be in on them, whether they were practical jokes or uproarious skits. I can still hear his laugh. I am sure that when he arrived in paradise, one of the first things he said was, "HEY, HO, WHOA!!!" I can still hear him saying that, especially as he helped Tinkerbell fly in for breakfast. The whole skit involved he and Dave meeting me at the zip wire. Miles ran the belay while Dave rigged the hardware on the platform. I just had to climb the tree in a Tinkerbell costume. "Hey, Ho, Whoa!" he said when I dropped my jeans to the base of the tree where he waited patiently. "Whoa, Hey, Ho" was his phrase for "Didja' see that?" as sleepy-headed Deer Runners saw Tinkerbell fly through the sky. Miles was a man of prayer. I never saw him on his knees, but I know he spent much time there, whether literally or figuratively. He's one of the spiritual mentors in my life who modeled the importance of talking and walking with God while still living in the present moment. I am so appreciative of his grounded spirit and rootedness. Despite any physical limitation, he always stood like a majestic old maple tree in my mind, and still does. Miles brought out the best in me, as he did with all his staff. First out of fear of not meeting his expectations, then from realizing how tremendously trusting he was of my capabilities and potential, I learned much about how to become the kind of teacher, coach, mentor, parent and leader he was. His influence, attitude and respect for others has spilled over into mine, and I thank God that I got to work for and with such a tremendous spirit. Philippians 3:12
Where do you start when you speak of such a Christian role model. Miles was a leader and father to so many of us. He made me feel like I was home and I belonged despite my short comings. A way in which Jesus himself makes you feel. I am much the man today due to the influence Miles had on my life. Even in his passing he has inspired me to be a better man and continue to be a Christian Leader. His grace, compassion and love will be dearly missed. Miles, we love you. Grace my the Lord comfort you during this difficult time.
Miles was "predictable" ..which meant that you knew his comments, decisions, and actions and follow up would be correct .. even if you didn't agree with him all the time.
..this has triggered some unbelivably vivid memories of the first Brookwoods year, and maybe more so, getting in his '58 Ford station wagon, (green with wood I believe) and heading up to this "new" camp to dishes and whatever else needed to be done
and as a coach and fellow pilgrim, suffice it to say he was cooooool !
I have so many fond memories of Miles as my coach and headmaster at CHS. Miles had a great sense of humor and I still remember our trips to play games and his antics as we drove to games. I still remember our trips to Brookwoods to serve in the kitchen for weekend retreats. Miles thanks for all the memories, and I look forward to meeting you in heaven. Grace, may the Lord give you His grace at this time. You were and are a giant in our lives as well. I still remember how much you meant to our class back in 1960 as we dedicated our yearbook to you. God Bless, Ron Sanderson class of 60
I would like leave my thoughts about Miles as a parent. I did not know Miles on a personal level. I was involved in a cooperative effort between the Newton Presbyterian Churh and Camp to help kids from the church go to camp as a group. It was a great success and it had a huge impact in the lives of many families. He was a loyal friend to our church.
On a personal level, I could see his fingerprints all over the camp. Brookwoods and Deer Run provided a firm Christian foundation and life changing experiences for my children and I expect thousands of other kids. As a parent I cannot thank Miles enough for the quiet leadership he provided and for his part in making the camp what it is to this day. His family continues the tradition.
As President of Christian Camp and Conference Association and on behalf of nearly 1,000 Christian camps and conference centers, and more than 8,000 camping leaders in the United States, I extend our heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved Miles. He lived an exemplary life of service that touched thousands and, as a result, lives were changed forever.
Miles’ influence and service was felt well beyond the shores of Winnipesaukee and the Allagash. Among many other contributions, Miles served on the Board of Directors for Christian Camp and Conference Association (formerly Christian Camping International/USA); was appointed liaison from Christian Camping International to the American Camping Association Accreditation Board; served as Program Director for our 1990 Boston National Convention; and, on a personal note, was on a very small committee that selected me to serve as CCI/USA’s President in 1990. On another interesting note, since it’s inception in 1963, Miles and his son, Bob, currently CEO of Christian Camps and Conferences, Inc., were one of only three father/son duos elected to CCI/USA’s board of directors. So the generational legacy remains. In 1998 Miles received CCI/USA’s Kingsley Living Tribute award, given to only a select few who had provided distinguished service to Christian camping.
This day, as you mourn the passing of a special man I know you also rejoice because of the eternal hope we have in Jesus Christ. To you, Grace, thank you for demonstrating your wonderful love and faithfulness, not only through the years, but particularly as Miles’ health waned. May God’s richest blessing sustain you and all who have lived close to this choice servant of God.
What a treasure trove of memories there is in recounting the life of Miles Strodel, and his great influence in helping to build strong Christian training environments at Christian High School in Cambridge, MA and Camp Brookwoods in Alton Bay, NH. In 1958, upon returning to Massachusetts from a move to Florida, our family was directed by the Lord, through friends, to attend CHS. The experience and training at CHS, with the support of dedicated teachers, were pivotal in my social and academic development. At this time I express great appreciation for the sacrifices by Miles and Grace, and the CHS faculty, to enable rich experience and guidance.
CHS baseball and basketball activities were filled with fun and challenges, as the teams and cheerleaders were encouraged by the Strodels to represent the School in a uniquely Christian manner. Weekly trips to gym class in Central Square, Cambridge afforded the opportunity to occasionally glimpse the Boston Celtics in workouts. In regard to classroom work, memories fondly linger in regard to the New Testament material taught by 'Coach' Strodel. Still vivid in my mind are his well-organized lectures and examinations.
On weekends during the fall, there were regular trips to Camp Brookwoods by CHS students. In addition to kitchen 'work', there were numerous opportunities at the Camp for athletic activities or just to relax in New Hampshire nature. Trips to and from Alton Bay, with Miles or Don Ricker and their 'wagons', were always eventful.
Miles and Grace joined CHS at a crucial time in the School's development and transition. As headmaster, Miles and those he recruited brought the right balance of athletic, social, educational and spiritual components to foster significant institutional growth of CHS and LCA. As counselor, Miles encouraged me to attend Eastern Nazarene College. This was helpful advice.
Our gratitude to Miles and Grace is mainly for their central roles in building a strong system of Christian education and training in the New England area. Many of us have benefited from their faithfulness and encouragement.
Conrad Johanson, East Greenwich, RI CHS Class of 1960
I'm late posting here, but I just received word of Miles' passing from my sister, a Wheaton grad, who read it in an alumni newsletter. I recall so fondly the summer of 1965, when I traveled by train and bus from southern California to New Hampshire to be the athletic director at Brookwoods. Miles was such a great leader--he was always firm, yet always fair. I was majoring in accounting at UCLA at the time, but ended up going into youth ministry for 22 years (followed by a senior pastorate), and much of what influenced me (and prepared me!) for that ministry was that summer at Brookwoods. I thank Miles and the staff for taking a chance on a total stranger from clear across the country--I'll never forget the people and experiences of that summer!
I knew Miles as a child at Brookwoods for four summers in the late 60's before moving to the west coast. I was surprised at the emotion I felt when opening theGlobe and seeing his obituary and photograph. Very fond memories of a giant of a man; and very large hole in so many hearts at his passing. Fly balls for free cokes, pointing with knuckles to signify which tables could be dismissed, paddling for lost items (doubt they do that anymore)hooking up a grainy TV screen to watch the first moon walk, and a presence that all have appreciated in these messages. Blessings to the Strodels in this time of grief; and blessings for sharing such a man with the rest of us.
I was saddened to read of Miles' passing in the Granite State News yesterday. During the mid-1970's, I was a collegue of Grace's at LCA (she made he BEST lemon bread ever!)and math teacher of Donna (such neat penmanship--hers were papers I looked forward to grading!)but, before that, I was a math/teaching student at Gordon College. Miles was my Student Teaching Mentor. I recall seeing his tall figure shadowed in the hallway at Masconomet Regional High School when he would come to give a critique of my young endeavors. I recall, too, that he seemed almost as nervous as I was when the classroom teacher would review my efforts--it was as though Miles wanted me to do well as much as I did, that he rejoiced in my successes and understood my mistakes as I went through the student-teaching process. He truly was a teacher to his soul, and he was very much a part of the teacher I became. I hope he would have been proud.
For the past 20 summers, I, with my husband, have been on the staff of neighboring Camp Belknap; driving by the Brookwoods/Deer Run driveway, I always remember the Strodels and will continue to send my prayers their way.
Miles and Grace, you have been the giants of CHS/LCA and seen it and us through the bad times and the good. You have been influential in many of the key decisions we made and spent time with us when it cost greatly and other times when it was just fun. In the 1950's, when the school was surviving on a daily basis, you sacrificed much of yourself to see it though. We thank you for your kindness and we look forward to seeing you again in Heaven.
The passing of Miles Strodel is the passing of a giant. As a Christian leader, Miles’ life spoke volumes in influencing thousands of young people like myself. During my impressionable teen years, no one had a greater character forming impact on my life as coach, mentor, teacher and friend than Miles.
Following my four years at Christian High School (LCA) I wanted to go to Wheaton College and Gordon Divinity School largely because Miles had followed that educational path. At Camp Sandy Hill and Brookwoods, I spent nine memorable summers with Miles and Grace in Christian camping, the final four summers newly married to Polly. The Strodels were great role models for Polly and me in those early years of marriage, one of the reasons we have now enjoyed more than fifty years of marriage together.
The many experiences I had with Miles as a young man helped to confirm and shape my life’s calling of being a Christian teacher. This exciting privilege of being an educator, influenced by Miles many years ago, I have now carried out as a professor of biblical studies on the college level for the past forty-five years (eight at Barrington College and thirty-seven at Gordon College).
We are all saddened at the loss of Miles, and we pray for God’s comfort for Grace and the family. As we reflect on the loss of Miles, we are reminded that only Heaven knows the countless numbers of young and old Miles touched for Christ and His kingdom through his gifts and life of service so unselfishly and freely dedicated to Him.
Thank you, Miles for a life well lived. And thank you, Lord, for sharing him with us.
I don't remember when I frist met Uncle miles but I would guess I was 5 or 6 years old. At the age of 8 I came to camp for the first time as a camper and spent a month trying to keep warm durring swimming lessons. Miles was much larger than life to me as a boy. He was gruff like an old bear some times but I could tell that he loved God and the people around him and that he was good. Not soft or wishywashy but good. As the summers when by I did not get to spend much one on one time with Miles but I rember one event that was notable. I was at camp the last two weeks and my older Sister Marianne who was on staff was going to drive me home. I ended up at the staff dinner out at Yokins. I was 11 or 12 at the time and not quite shure what I was doing there. Uncle Miles bought me a lobster to eat for my supper. It was a small thing in some ways but it was a big gift to me as it told me that I had a place and was known. Over the summers and years Uncle Miles sat at the helm of Brookwoods. He seemed like a rock in a changing world. After completing my CIT years I worked on staff for him. He was like an icon of enduring service over the 14 summers I spent at Camp. Seing him always remineded me of the call to be light in the world for the days that we are given.
I remember a 'minor incident' that came about at Christian High. A few of us were summoned to Miles' office when the 'incident' surfaced. He told us we needed to go home and tell our parents about it, because he would be calling them. We all went home and cautiously relayed what had gone on, but Mr. Strodel never called any parents. So we had each cooked our goose! Sometime later I asked him why he didn't call, and he told me with a chuckle that he knew we would take care of it for him.
Miles Strodel was our Headmaster, our teacher, our friend and example, and I am very grateful for the significant impact he has had on my life.
The Strodel Family entered my life when I was 4 years old and Donna an I went to nursery school together. Years went by and then I had the privilege of attending LCA and being in Donna's class. She is the one who led me to Christ. Although 30 years has passed since that time I hold you all close in my heart.I remember being at a slumber party on Lillian Rd being entertained by Miles doing "double talk." Grace, you have always made me feel like one of your daughters. The legacy of your family will be beyond measure. I feel I can see the Lord's finger prints in my memories of your family in my life With much love, Jen Stumpp Hevenor
When I think of Uncle Miles, I think of one word: INTEGRITY. His love for the Lord, his love of life and his love for people was remarkable. I spent 14 summers at camp and when I became a counselor, I remember how Miles used to talk to the staff and encourage to be people of excellence. He gave us a handout that I have held on to these past 15 years.
– Ted W. Engstrom From “Motivation to Last a Lifetime”
The world needs People Who... Cannot be bought; Whose word is their bond; Put character above wealth; Possess opinions and a will; Are larger than their vocations; Do not hesitate to take chances; Will not lose their individuality in a crowd; Will be as honest in small things as in great things; Will make no compromise with wrong; Ambitions are not confined to their own selfish desires; Will not say do it ‘because everybody else does it;’ Are trusted by their friends through good report and evil report, in adversity as well as prosperity; Do not believe that shrewdness, cunning and hardheadedness are the best qualities for winning success; Are not ashamed or afraid to stand for the truth when it is unpopular; Can say “no” with emphasis, although all the rest of the world says, “yes”.
Miles embodied the words written above. He was a man of character and his impact will carry on for generations to come. He lived a beautiful life on earth and I know that he is rejoicing with the Lord in heaven.
Camp Brookwoods played a major role during my teen years in my development as a man and as a Christian. Learning the skills of the outdoors - hiking, swimming, canoeing, camping, sailing - under the leadership of so many strong men of Christian character made a powerful impression on me and changed the course of my life. I wanted to be like the men who were my counselors and teachers. And at the head of that group, the man whose keen eye hand picked the Brookwoods staff and who set the program and standards for everything that went on was Miles Strodel. Miles was, is and always will be Brookwoods to me.
He had a gift for discerning talent and heart. He was a quick study of a young man's motives and passions. My early memories as an 18 year old cabin counselor in the mid 60's was that he had given me things to do without knowing whether I could do them. In fact I doubted I could do what he had asked me to do until ... I did them. He may have been the first person who trusted me with responsibility without giving me a lecture about it. Somehow he knew he was going to get a return on his investment of trust. Talk about confidence building!
Naturally, when the time came I entrusted my daughters into this man's camp oversight and if the Lord wills it I will see my grandchildren also benefit from the lessons still available at Camp Brookwoods and Dear Run. Because Miles trusted and mentored so many, his legacy is that 'excellence in camping' will continue long after his passing.
My prayers and thoughts are with the Strodel family during this difficult time. Yet, I know you find comfort in Gordon MacDonald's expression of 'grieving in victory' that Miles has been lifted up to be with the Lord. It'll be my great joy some day to shag flies for Uncle Miles in heaven's outfield.
The service for Miles earlier today touched me deeper than I ever imagined. Rarely have I been moved to tears of both joy and sadness at the same time. What a remarkable tribute to this giant of a man. Thank you Grace, Bob, David, and Donna for the chance to hold Miles so close to our hearts. While we miss him we also see, so clearly, that his work continues.
He was a wonderful man.I came across on the camp america programme to brookwoods in 88 and 89.He was a real giant of a man.I can remember phoning him before the camping season of 89 saying that I couldn't make it for the first week of camp.I was prepared for him to say no but he simply said we will see you the second week of camp.I had 2 marvellous summers @ Brookwoods and he and Aunt Grace were like family in their care and attention.
I worked as counselor for two years at Brookwoods (82, 84). Those were two wonderful, stretching summers and Miles played a central role in my formation as a man and currently as a teacher.
Miles had the unique gift of a wonderful sense of humor combined with a profound knowledge of God, the character of people and an ability to allow people to thrive using their personal gifts. He took life seriously, but not too seriously. He could lay the down the law, but he could also pat you on the back and pick you up off the floor.
I will always remember "Milisms" - Mandribels and provoscases... Whatever that meant!
I met Miles and Grace when I first came to New Hampshire to visit Wendy Byker. I was somewhat nervous meeting lots of new people. Miles and Grace made me feel completely at home, and welcomed me into the Brookwoods family. I was much sadened when I heard of his death, the world is a poorer place without him.
Miles - you were such a charismatic, strong, open, warm and special person. You were a true leader who led from the front and by example. You showed compassion, kindness and love and will remain in my heart and memories forever. I am truelly sadened to read of your passing and send Grace the biggest hug all the way from Scotland. In the words of the Celtic Blessing "may the Saints and Saviour watch over you." Love , Elyse (McFarlane) Kirkham
My name is David Smith I grew up in Worcester, MA and my family and I live in the St. Louis area but get back to Chatham on Cape Cod every summer. I was a camper for multiple years at Camp Brookwoods in the early to mid 1960's. I can remember the first time as youngster meeting Miles and seeing his arm and being scared of him because of it. His quite Godly demeanor quickly got me over it. Who can ever forget the Sunday night vespers? Coming from a family who regularly attended church yet not faith oriented it was Miles and one certain cabin counselor (Peter ?)who through their lifestyle and relational evangelism allowed me the privilege of accepting Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior and some 40 years later I am still in his loving arms.
Miles Strodel was a man of unquestioned integrity, honesty and humility. Something we all should aspire toward and he had it all in one complete package.
I have one other story I want to share about Miles. In one of the summers I cut my index finger cutting watermelon. Miles was so kind and considerate as he took me to the hospital to get stitched up. I will never for get the kindness he showed me that night.
Out of those vespers came my two most favorite Christian hymns which to this day still give me goosebumps when I sing or hear them: Rugged Cross and Onward Christian Solider.
So my brother in Christ your battle is won and mine is still evolving but the tings I learned from you I will never forget and cannot wait to say thanks when we meet again.
Blessings to all the Strodel family....you made a difference in my life and I( am sure countless others.
61 comments:
Growing up with Donna through the years, Miles was my second dad. The memories of this amazing man are just too many to count...
Miles was a man of integrity, character and leadership whose legacy will live on in more lives than any of us will know this side of eternity.
My thoughts and prayers are with Grace, Bobby and Debbie and their children, David and Joan and their children, and of course my sweet Donna and Brian and their family.
How precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of this saint. There is a welcome stored up for Miles as he crossed over to the next chapter of his life. I am so thankful that he persevered in his life and triumphed in his death.
I love you all, Marla
It was 1979 and I was the Riding Director. I have many fond memories of Camp Brookwoods/Deer Run and Miles Strodel. For the past almost 30 years, I have been traveling the USA and working as a riding instructor and horse trainer. I still relish my memories and photos of the Camp and remember what a fabulous time everyone had there as well as the deep truths in Christianity that were presented there. These left impressions on everyone's heart. It was from my own experience at Camp Brookwoods/Deer Run with Miles' influence that I have dedicated my own talents with horses into a Christian ministry.
It is amazing what Miles' hard work, prayers and life have done to contribute to the lifeblood of Jesus at Brookwoods and everything else connected to this dream and reality. Thank you to his wife and children and other family members who have supported him in his work/your work/our work = God's work.
You all are in my thoughts and prayers. May God be especially close to you all at this time.
Audrey Kohlmann (Hankel)
The first time we met Miles was at an information night about Brookwood's in Massachusetts. Our son Andrew was only about 7 at the time and when Miles extended a friendly handshake, Andrew shyly shook his hand while looking at the ground. With out saying a word, Miles kept hold of that hand until Andrew made eye contact. Miles taught Andrew the importance of eye contact and a firm handshake with out saying a word.
These are the quiet ways that he mentored young people. Mile's legacy has certainly impacted our family with two sons whose lives were changed in the LDP program,
Well done,good and faithful servant.
Joe and Joan Busk
Miles was just a fixture at Brookwoods, I just remember him trying to get to know every camper as he dedicated himself to being all places, dining hall, front law, waterfront... he was always around listening and learning. He will be missed.
Laura (Cheek) Mitchell
My memories of Miles are many but two come to mind. One was watching Miles hit the arts and crafts building with monster home runs and the other was trying to sneak past the Eagle cabin and up to Deer Run. Our biggest fear was what might happen if Miles caught us.The last few days I've heard Miles' voice in my ear and picture him in my mind with his Chicago Cubs hat on. Second only to my parents, Miles and the staff at Brookwoods were a major influence in my life and I thank The Lord for them.
Garry Koop, second generation camper, 1972-1976
I remember him as a kind man whose presence held great gravity.
I have faith he is enjoying his reward.
During the summer of 1991 I was an troubled international Camp Counsellor at Deer Run, running away from my life back in the UK.
On one occasion I sought the help and advice of “Uncle Miles” in a fatherly role, wandering into his office and because of the fear he would send this ‘not-perfect’ counsellor home; bursting into uncontrollable tears as I opened my mouth to seek his help.
He so patiently listened to my sob story (of my ex-boyfriend from home) gave me a tissue to wipe my nose, and came up with the perfect solution. “Uncle Miles” called my ex-boyfriends father and talked ‘Father-to-Father’ with him on my behalf.
Never did he even mention sending me home.
For the rest of the summer he would cryptically ask every now and then “How are you?” and he knew when I said I was “great thanks”, with a big old smile on my face, that things were okay in my world once more.
What he didn’t know was, this was the first time in my life when I realised how my God, could be a ‘Father’ God, which up until this point had been my biggest issue with God; never having had a healthy relationship with my own Dad.
"Uncle Miles" showed me no judgement, only pure compassion, respect and love in such a life changing fashion I will forever hold his memory dear as ‘the man who took 20 minutes out of his day, once, to act like my father.’ A blessing he might never know he gave me, but one I will never forget.
It's been more than 50 years since the Lord directed my path to a small patch of holy ground on 20 Garden Street in Cambridge where He would use giants such as Belle Strickland, Grace Pierson and Miles Strodel to change my life eternally. Half a century later, not a day goes by when I am not aware of how indebted I am to them. How good it is to know, there is coming a day when, in the words of songwriter Ray Boltz, I will be able to seek them out and tell them from the bottom of a grateful heart, "Thank you for giving to the Lord; I am a life that was changed."
The early 70's were a time when this country was trying to re-identify itself and its values amid the pressures and the ending of the Viet Nam War. One of my 'harbors in the storm' and a strong cornerstone to grab on to was Lexington Christian Academy helmed by Miles Strodel. I,as others,remember those times fondly for they were the most important years of my life. I have reflected many times on how proud Mr. Strodel was to have hosted the workouts for the Boston Celtics in our gymnasium during those years.
The look in his eyes as he watched them and shared not only his school but his life with them is an indellable memory of mine.
Thank you Mr. Strodel
As I remember my days at CHS back in the 50's, one person stands out as being so instrumental in changing my life…that was Miles Strodel. As mentor, father confessor, father substitute, and friend, I grew in the Lord because of his constant witness to me. Whether we were on fun trips with the cheerleaders and basketball players, working on the yearbook, or clowning around at 1000 Acres on our class trip, Miles always exemplified a godly man following the Lord’s lead.
But there is one memory that will forever stay in my heart and mind and that happened just a couple of years ago. We were back in New England for our 50th class reunion and several of us, along with Grace, stopped at Carlton Willard Village to visit with Miles. He had been a resident there for the past 3 years. He was in bed, unable to raise his head to look at us and did not speak. We spent a few minutes talking to him and reminiscing about our collective past, and then I prayed for him. When I finished, Grace asked him if he’d like to pray. He indicated that he would. I put my ear right next to his mouth and as he whispered, I heard the most beautiful prayer of worship, praise, and dedication to the Lord that I had ever heard. Right to the end, with body racked by Parkinson’s, Miles’ mind and heart were as strong as ever and totally committed to our Lord.
I wept.
There are giants of the faith that we all recognize as epitomizing true Christian character; DL Moody, Billy Graham, Jim Dobson to name a few. I would add Miles Strodel to that list. I look forward to seeing him again when Jesus calls us home.
To His glory,
Pat Cole
Miles was the first person who encouraged me to utilize my gifts for the Kingdom. In a day and age when women in leadership were non-existent, Miles encouraged me to catch the vision of how God could use me, and the gifts He'd given me.
Miles served as a wonderful mentor to so many of us, particularly during the 1980s. We would catch him sweeping off the back porch, long after counselors and other staff had retired to their cabins. Miles epitomized servant leadership - always looking out for a way to serve and help others.
Lastly, Miles was one of the most compassionate people I've met. He empathized with those who struggled, and encouraged those who were beaten down. He functioned as a second Dad to so many of us - especially those of us who did not come from believing families.
I have missed Miles for a long time....but at least now I am content to know that he is in the presence of our Maker. Although some envision heaven as a place where we spend "time" singing in choral unison, I have a feeling that some of the best places on earth might be perfected there. Perhaps Miles has located some remote corner of heaven that looks like Chibougamau, where he continues his pursuit of the largest northern pike available...all for the glory of God!
I am Patrick Lynch. i attended and worked at camp for about 7 seasons in the 80's early 90s
1) Miles riding off the pier in his old three wheel trike
2) driving through camp in one of the old "beater" wagons at night, no lights, looking for illegal blob activity with the search light
3) running the old Mustang boat (at full sped) to chase the away the water birds before ski lessons
4) Hey, whoa, hey - "Boys, their bodies grow twice as fast as their brains"
5) Teaching me management lessons on how to work with DR
forgiving me for a $1500 dent in a camp van..."I'll take it out of your next check"
I am glad to have known you
I attended Camp Brookwoods from 1965-1972,and it was a wonderful time in my life. The beautiful setting on the lake,the surrounding area and the many adventures in camping,mountain climbing,swimming,so much more. Miles was the leader of that camp in so many ways. I have memories of him,his brother Woody,Uncle JJ,and many others who had a very profound and lasting influence on my life. Miles cared deeply about each camper there,along with the staff and the camp itself. He inspired the many wonderful counselers that served at Brookwoods during my time there,men of strong Christian faith and integrity. I remember many happy times there,and I am grateful for those summers and the influence Miles (and the Lord through Miles)had on my life. He will be missed by many.
When I first became a camp director in New England, "Miles Strodel" was a name that was respected and known throughout the area. I was fortunate to have him as a colleague.
When I became a national staff member of the American Camp Association, Miles' name again appeared in section leadership and then as a member of the (then) National Standards Board. He represented Christian camping as well as his beloved New England.
Miles was known to us in ACA as a quiet and thoughtful leader, sensitive to the educational values of camp, and the deep spiritual influence of the camp experience.
I am better for knowing him and his family, and God's work moved forward under his sensitive leadership.
It is clear from other comments that many have been touched by his life, attitudes, integrity, and influence. May we have the grace and strength to move forward with his memory motivating our action and attitude.
Uncle Miles showed me what a strong christian man was all about from Moose to Bear I could always count on him to make an impression.
I am so, so sorry to hear this. MILES STRODEL CHANGED AND IMPACTED THE LIVES OF A TON OF US! He was like a father, a minister, a counselor, a guide, a disciplinarian (when we were out of order) but most of all a Christian model – AND – the best definition of Christian love, grace and friendship that ever walked the earth. I used to pray that whatever sin Miles had…I WANTED!! Like Bob Baptista and Joe Bean…I really can’t figure out what their sin is?? Mine, I know…and the catalog is thick! Theirs: Not possible. I know they sinned but, to this day, I really, really do not know what it was! (Gracie too, by the way!) I served under Miles/Gracie (and his brother Woody for 13 years – as their Program Director, soccer/basketball/waterfront/rifle instructor/cabin counselor and anything they asked me to do. He was a great baseball prospect (with the Cubs, I think…) but because of as childhood accident - and a broken arm too tightly wrapped with an ace bandage – when he fell off a table and broke it as a baby…he grew up with a withered right arm. His paralytic-like handshake did nothing to raise questions because his left arm was like steel and he learned to hit left-handed and could rip the ball with fury!! He made phenomenal successes of struggling camp programs – first at Camp Sandy Hill (in Maryland) and then Camp Brookwoods for boys and camp Deer Run for girls in Alton bay, NH on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee. He also was a masterful Headmaster at Brown and Nichols school in Lexington, MA where he and Gracie lived in the ‘off’-season (September to June!)But when CAMP TIME came around each summer…we all headed to camp – to be inspired and led by Miles. (We used to reverse the pronunciation of people's names and had a lot of fun with Selim Ledorts!!!) We loved him. And to the last breath I somehow know that beautiful mind inside was still pounding out the steps to the Kingdom for the Lord Jesus he loved!!!I shall miss him so. Gracie, I love you and pray fpor you. Uncle Nubby
The individual who most shaped my character growing up was Miles Strodel. I remember this tall guy who spoke with me after I took the test for LCA over by the Commander Hotel in Harvard Square. I spent much of the next six years with him going to school and then Brookwoods in the summer. I grew to surpass his height but always hope I can live up to his expectations of me.
There was a lot of fun. All the doubletalk he would do while we were in the Ford station wagon on the way to Brookwoods or after a game. Of course never before a game. What about that sophisticated hybrid triangle and 2 defense he prepared for the Browne and Nichols game.
Whenever I have had a difficult time in my life I have always depended and drawn on many of the lessons I learned from him. Those lessons have served me well. Miles you will always be in my heart and mind.
David Pearson class of 71
I clearly recall the day in the spring of 1970 when Mr. Strodel (I just can't call him "Miles") took my parents aside in the front hallway of LCA and gave them some advice about my education that changed the direction of my life. I was surprised to realize that he was paying attention to me, and as it turned out, his perceptions were right. And that despite the fact that it was pretty clear I was never going to be any help to his basketball team. :-)
He paid attention. I will always owe him for that.
So many memories of “Uncle Miles”, a man I had so much respect for growing up every summer at camp. I remember him giving worship on Sunday mornings, his presence in the dining hall and his patrol of the grounds in the orange jeep to name a few. Later on when I was a CIT and then on staff I got to know him better and looked forward to the occasional chats we would have. He always took such an interest in how you were doing. I will never forget his ramblings he would go on where he would start talking about the most random things where you looked at each other and just started laughing, I wish I could remember one now. Miles, Grace and the entire Strodel family have been such fixtures at Brookwoods/DeerRun and that continuity was appreciated year to year. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire family.
Eric Swanson
Words can not express the major impact he had on my life through my interactions with him and my observations of him as a Headmaster and Coach.
When I think of Coach Stodel, I think of another great coach, John Wooden who said, "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail". Miles prepared us for life. He will not be forgotten.
Bruce MacLeod, LCA Class 1970
As mentioned in other blogs, my biggest memory of Uncle Miles was him riding around in the orange jeep as well as running the dining hall meals and worship service on Sundays.
I remember every summer, I would reintroduce myself to him on the first day of camp only to have him tell me, he never forgot in the first place!
He is a man that will truly never be forgotten within my Brookwoods/Deer Run family.
DR camper (Whitetail through Pronghorn up to 1998).
Absolutely none of the words already written here in memories of Miles surprise me in the least. If I worked at it, I could probably figure how old I actually was when Miles first arrived - along with an incredible retinue of camp followers - at Brookwoods from Sandy Hill. Whatever young age I was, I remember how incredible was Miles as an answer to my dad's prayer for someone with the heart, vision, drive, call - and time and willingness to sacrifice financially - to shoulder the responsibility of Director of Brookwoods, (and later, Deer Run). It was far more than a 9-week-per-year undertaking...it was 9 weeks and the rest of the year given to cleaning, up, evaluating, planning and preparing for the next 9 weeks. (Ultimately, of course, it evolved into a full year with a much broader focus. But the heart of it all was always those precious summer months when kids were available for an investment in their lives that could impact them for the next 70 years...and for eternity.)
And that's exactly what Miles (and Grace!) brought to those couple hundred acres of property and that vision of changed lives first entrusted to my dad when he had himself been a young boy.
Miles, you were so thoroughly committed to impacting and changing kids' lives through every aspect of the camp. You carried a broad - and always broadening vision - of all the things it took to make that goal a reality. You genuinely loved and respected the lives entrusted to you - both camper and counsellors. And you so clearly loved the call God had placed in your heart.
I also remember the grace to deal with...let's see, carry a sleeping Nubby on his cot from the Bear cabin & setting it down in the shallow water of the "Little Beach"....a few young counselors or JC's sneaking over to watch the night's performance of the sleepwalking camper on/at station WOLF...handling the discipline for those who unaccountable sank the Lolly. The jumble of is way too ungainly to sort out this side of heaven!
But there is one question I'm going to ask for sure when I see Miles - and he's in an expansive mood.
"Miles, when you assigned that particular group of boys in the Woodchuck Cabin, was it because you thought I was the best person to deal with them...or was it deliberate punishment?"
More than anything, Thank you, Miles, for loving Jesus and for working with everything you had to open the doors of kids' lives to that real and incredible love. Over and over again. Year after year.
We love you, Miles!!!
Don Andreson
How sad to hear of Mile's passing. We did so many things together in ACA. We took our Instructor's course together,as a matter of fact we roomed together.Miles and I served on the National Standards Committee for a number of years and instructed standards courses together.He was a gentle giant and a man of faith He will be sorely missed.May his memory serve as a blessing.
George Marcus
I was a Deer Run camper back in the early 1980s for four summers.
My favorite memories of Uncle Miles were his no-nonsense way of sharing his thoughts. I can clearly remember sitting in a whole camp meeting in basement of the Deer Run Lodge and him telling us importance of daily prayer, giving thanks to the Lord, and being a good role model and citizen to others - using honesty and respect, how using curse words doesn't represent yourself fairly, and making your camping experience memorable.
He honestly cared about each person- how they represented themselves and treated others. He always said what he meant and didn't beat around the bush. You could tell he was serious when he spoke, but he was also very funny.
Thank you Miles for the wonderful camp memories and for caring so much. Thank you for your honesty, respect, leadership, guidance and sense of humor. You will live on in our hearts and thoughts.
From the time I was a camper all the way through my CIT and counselor years, I always stood in awe of Uncle Miles. Not only was he much taller than myself but I could never quite locate the "left handed pitcher squeezer" I was sent to the kitchen to find one night at dinner. He had a great sense of humor!
I also had tremendous respect for Miles. You could see the kindness and compassion in his eyes. You knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he deeply cared for boy and girl at camp.
My thoughts and prayers are with with Strodel family. Thank you Miles for being a true servant and leader for so many of us.
Tina (Brandt) Brumley
I met Miles for the first time in the late 90's when he so graciously offered the Dining Hall as a place where our Homeowners Association could have our annual meeting. My husband and I knew very little about the camp at that time and even less about the Lord. I am so thankful to God for Miles and his vision for Camp Brookwoods as a place where my sons would eventually come as campers and hear the truth about Christ.
We will remember Miles fondly and will keep your family in our prayers.
With Love,
Patty, Michael, Ryan and Alex Uhre
I remember Uncle Miles standing up at the front of the dining hall and saying, "Today is 8/8/88." I was 11. As a result, every time I write an interesting date on the board (I am a teacher), I think of him.
It was an honor to attend and work at the camp while he was there.
Molly Pease
my memories of uncle miles go back to the age of 7 when my parents became part of the brookwoods family. my first intro to uncle miles was when he showed me the moose that hung in the foyer of the dining hall- he made a point of telling me that his back end was still attached and sticking out into the old garage. i believed him and all the many stories he would tell.
he was a larger than life figure, but at the same time there was a gentle and quiet spirit about him.
a man you could always rely on, he was faithful and consistent in his words and in his love.
because of the investment he made in our lives, i am able to pass down a piece of that to my children and for that i am grateful.
to the strodel family and to aunt grace- i love you all dearly. may God continue to use you as you futher His work and that of your earthly father.
many blessings,
kari wathne marbury
I was 21 and not sure where I would spend my summer. My high school buddy Greg Arthur had suggested earlier in the year that I apply for staff at Brookwoods, so I had. I was visiting a camp in the panhandle of Texas when Uncle Miles tracked me down, having called a few places to get the number where I was. He offered me a job, and I accepted. That was the first year that Bob would be running camp with Miles stepping back a bit. Because I worked at Brookwoods for four summers, I met my wife Cherith, and the rest is history. I only got to work with Uncle Miles for two years, but he had an impact on my life, not only in the course I would take, but in the kind of man I would strive to be. God bless.
"The rocks are hard; the water is wet" he used to say before the trips to Canada and Maine. And now a celebration in heaven for the kind-hearted leadership, service, and ever-present display of Christ's love that he shared with everyone around him.
I have many fond memories of Uncle Miles, from trotting around the Back Field after bombing a ball into the woods, sharing who Christ is to my cabin under the brown banners in the Rec Hall, sputtering along the trails with Spanky and the Orange Jeep, having a heart-to-heart about how to practically walk our Faith in everyday life around the campfire at Inspiration Point, to sitting on the Diving Pier rail in fellowship with staff after bringing the Mustang back off the lake.
I am sure Miles touched many lives, like my own, both through his teaching and love for the outdoors, filled with Christ's truth throughout his ministry and witness. He will be missed dearly. It is a joy to celebrate his life, his character, his integrity, and his heart.
Mark Zolner, BW Alum 1987-2003
Miles was a great teacher, coach and friend to all of us students. I remember how he made sure I was part of the basketball team. He knew that I had a mild case of memingism and was told by doctors that I could not try out for cheerleading. Miles found out and asked me to be the scorekeeper for the varsity basketball team. I did the job for three years.
He was a great listener and showed great compassion in a quiet way.
He will be greatly missed by many. He touched manylives at CHS, Camp Sandy Hill, Brookwoods and Deer Hill. God will richly bless him and Grace.
Carol Roberts Coryell
Class of 1957
It was easy to look up to Miles, literally and figuratively. During our years as colleagues in CCI (now CCCA), and ACA, I grew to appreciate his gentle spirit, quiet wisdom, and keen insights.
It was my privilege to visit Brookwoods/Deer Run during the summer 1986. Miles warmly welcome me and personally gave me a tour of the site. As we entered the dining hall, his love for fun, laughter, and the reality of God's Word for daily life was manifested by his interaction with campers and staff.
CCCA and ACA are definitely richer from the legacy Miles invested in these associations. No doubt he is singing around the heavenly campfire with other camping leaders who have gone before him and he will remember his campers and staff by name as they join him. May God's grace and comfort and sustain the Strodel family and Brookwoods/Deer Run staff as you adjust to this loss.
Blessings,
Linda C. Byrd
Consultant with CCI Latin America
Panama City, Panama
Miles told me once that the most common topic Christian youth would raise with him alone was their desire to do something with their lives which "counted" for God.
Although Miles has gone to glory, he leaves us the precious example of his life - a life that truly "counted" in building God's Kingdom.
My condolences to the Strodel family. We will all miss Miles as we solemnly rejoice in remembering a life well lived.
Steve Fulton
Durham, North Carolina
When I think about Miles, there are many memories that warm the heart. He was a visionary who loved all kids. He knew when to be light-hearted and when to be stern, but most importantly when a fatherly talk was needed. I remember the first time I met Miles. His commanding presence intimidated me. Over the years working at camp as a nurse I grew to love him as my mentor and friend. He was a great leader who knew how to bring out the best in each of us. He saw the raw potential and allowed us to flourish under his guidance. You wanted to do your best because you knew he appreciated your efforts. (I still have one of the cards he wrote me after camp thanking me for my work) He also was supportive in helping you discern what steps needed to be taken when situations didn't go the way they they should have. He did this without judgement or condemnation. Under his care I learned the difference between excellence and perfection. For me, that has made all the difference and became the person I am today because of this.
One life in service to his Savior and to those entrusted under his care have touched thousands. Each of us whose life he has touched has been gifted with the responsibility to pass it on. Miles you are forever in our hearts.
Grace- Thank you so much for your faithful service to us and Miles. You are just the kind of wife and co-partner Miles needed in the pursuit of the precious ministry. He could not have done it without you. My heart grieves with you. You are in my thoughts and prayers
Love,
Pat Brown)Fleming
Miles was my inspiration during the early days of Portsmouth Christian Academy. He took the time to share with me the stories about the early days of Lexington Christian Academy, and encouraged me to persevere even though we were going throuugh rough times at the school. He noted that LCA had a similar trials and tribulations and that leaning, and waiting and trusting, on the Lord would bring good results. I was deeply grateful for the generous amount of time he took to share, and the wisdom he was so willing to impart. Christian education in NE has lost a great leader and pioneer. May he rest gently in the arms of his Lord and Savior.
Meeting Miles for the first time as a new kitchen staffer in 1989, I felt like he embodied the very character of God as I imagined it - a commanding yet inviting voice, a disarming smile and that shock of silvery white hair! So much wisdom and authority, yet so approachable and brimming with God's Grace. And what a partner in ministry is Grace! His lot in heaven is secure, and I trust he's preparing the ropes course for when we join him in Glory.
Miles was a quiet, steady, lead-by-example, Jesus-style leader. His impact on my life came through three avenues. First, as a builder/developer of Brookwoods, Miles created an environment where I made my own profession of faith in Christ. Second, as a Dad, Miles invested in three great kids - all of whom I had various degrees of privilege working with in youth group. And finally, as a church member, Miles was quick to offer encouragement as - in my earliest years - I got to preach for my first times.
Our prayers and love go out to the extended Strodel family, especially Grace. Paul (and Christie) Borthwick
from
Ginny Lypscon Richburg, '77 - '86
Miles Strodel...father, mentor, coach, fan, advisor, the boss, the servant,... He was all of these to me, plus maker of merriment and magic, as well as matrimony facilitator. Who can forget weddings at Brookwoods/Deer Run? My husband, Larry, and I had ours there twenty-three years ago and Miles made it happen so that friends and family from Vermont and Mass. could meet halfway as we stood on sacred ground. Miles always knew that about camp; it is sacred ground, and he always showed and protected that respect.
Miles loved those magical, creative moments born of crazy schemes concocted by ambitious program directors and unit leaders, and he loved even more to be in on them, whether they were practical jokes or uproarious skits. I can still hear his laugh.
I am sure that when he arrived in paradise, one of the first things he said was, "HEY, HO, WHOA!!!" I can still hear him saying that, especially as he helped Tinkerbell fly in for breakfast. The whole skit involved he and Dave meeting me at the zip wire. Miles ran the belay while Dave rigged the hardware on the platform. I just had to climb the tree in a Tinkerbell costume. "Hey, Ho, Whoa!" he said when I dropped my jeans to the base of the tree where he waited patiently. "Whoa, Hey, Ho" was his phrase for "Didja' see that?" as sleepy-headed Deer Runners saw Tinkerbell fly through the sky.
Miles was a man of prayer. I never saw him on his knees, but I know he spent much time there, whether literally or figuratively. He's one of the spiritual mentors in my life who modeled the importance of talking and walking with God while still living in the present moment. I am so appreciative of his grounded spirit and rootedness. Despite any physical limitation, he always stood like a majestic old maple tree in my mind, and still does.
Miles brought out the best in me, as he did with all his staff. First out of fear of not meeting his expectations, then from realizing how tremendously trusting he was of my capabilities and potential, I learned much about how to become the kind of teacher, coach, mentor, parent and leader he was. His influence, attitude and respect for others has spilled over into mine, and I thank God that I got to work for and with such a tremendous spirit.
Philippians 3:12
Where do you start when you speak of such a Christian role model. Miles was a leader and father to so many of us. He made me feel like I was home and I belonged despite my short comings. A way in which Jesus himself makes you feel. I am much the man today due to the influence Miles had on my life. Even in his passing he has inspired me to be a better man and continue to be a Christian Leader. His grace, compassion and love will be dearly missed. Miles, we love you. Grace my the Lord comfort you during this difficult time.
Shane Mack, Kitchen Staff 1989-1996
Miles was "predictable" ..which meant that you knew his comments, decisions, and actions and follow up would be correct .. even if you didn't agree with him all the time.
..this has triggered some unbelivably vivid memories of the first Brookwoods year, and maybe more so, getting in his '58 Ford station wagon, (green with wood I believe) and heading up to this "new" camp to dishes and whatever else needed to be done
and as a coach and fellow pilgrim, suffice it to say he was cooooool !
fred - 1959
I have so many fond memories of Miles as my coach and headmaster at CHS. Miles had a great sense of humor and I still remember our trips to play games and his antics as we drove to games. I still remember our trips to Brookwoods to serve in the kitchen for weekend retreats.
Miles thanks for all the memories, and I look forward to meeting you in heaven.
Grace, may the Lord give you His grace at this time. You were and are a giant in our lives as well. I still remember how much you meant to our class back in 1960 as we dedicated our yearbook to you.
God Bless, Ron Sanderson class of 60
I would like leave my thoughts about Miles as a parent. I did not know Miles on a personal level. I was involved in a cooperative effort between the Newton Presbyterian Churh and Camp to help kids from the church go to camp as a group. It was a great success and it had a huge impact in the lives of many families. He was a loyal friend to our church.
On a personal level, I could see his fingerprints all over the camp. Brookwoods and Deer Run provided a firm Christian foundation and life changing experiences for my children and I expect thousands of other kids. As a parent I cannot thank Miles enough for the quiet leadership he provided and for his part in making the camp what it is to this day. His family continues the tradition.
God bless the Strodel family.
Gayle MacLeod
Dear Grace, family and friends,
As President of Christian Camp and Conference Association and on behalf of nearly 1,000 Christian camps and conference centers, and more than 8,000 camping leaders in the United States, I extend our heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved Miles. He lived an exemplary life of service that touched thousands and, as a result, lives were changed forever.
Miles’ influence and service was felt well beyond the shores of Winnipesaukee and the Allagash. Among many other contributions, Miles served on the Board of Directors for Christian Camp and Conference Association (formerly Christian Camping International/USA); was appointed liaison from Christian Camping International to the American Camping Association Accreditation Board; served as Program Director for our 1990 Boston National Convention; and, on a personal note, was on a very small committee that selected me to serve as CCI/USA’s President in 1990. On another interesting note, since it’s inception in 1963, Miles and his son, Bob, currently CEO of Christian Camps and Conferences, Inc., were one of only three father/son duos elected to CCI/USA’s board of directors. So the generational legacy remains. In 1998 Miles received CCI/USA’s Kingsley Living Tribute award, given to only a select few who had provided distinguished service to Christian camping.
This day, as you mourn the passing of a special man I know you also rejoice because of the eternal hope we have in Jesus Christ. To you, Grace, thank you for demonstrating your wonderful love and faithfulness, not only through the years, but particularly as Miles’ health waned. May God’s richest blessing sustain you and all who have lived close to this choice servant of God.
With love and prayers … on behalf of thousands
What a treasure trove of memories there is in recounting the life of Miles Strodel, and his great influence in helping to build strong Christian training environments at Christian High School in Cambridge, MA and Camp Brookwoods in Alton Bay, NH. In 1958, upon returning to Massachusetts from a move to Florida, our family was directed by the Lord, through friends, to attend CHS. The experience and training at CHS, with the support of dedicated teachers, were pivotal in my social and academic development. At this time I express great appreciation for the sacrifices by Miles and Grace, and the CHS faculty, to enable rich experience and guidance.
CHS baseball and basketball activities were filled with fun and challenges, as the teams and cheerleaders were encouraged by the Strodels to represent the School in a uniquely Christian manner. Weekly trips to gym class in Central Square, Cambridge afforded the opportunity to occasionally glimpse the Boston Celtics in workouts. In regard to classroom work, memories fondly linger in regard to the New Testament material taught by 'Coach' Strodel. Still vivid in my mind are his well-organized lectures and examinations.
On weekends during the fall, there were regular trips to Camp Brookwoods by CHS students. In addition to kitchen 'work', there were numerous opportunities at the Camp for athletic activities or just to relax in New Hampshire nature. Trips to and from Alton Bay, with Miles or Don Ricker and their 'wagons', were always eventful.
Miles and Grace joined CHS at a crucial time in the School's development and transition. As headmaster, Miles and those he recruited brought the right balance of athletic, social, educational and spiritual components to foster significant institutional growth of CHS and LCA. As counselor, Miles encouraged me to attend Eastern Nazarene College. This was helpful advice.
Our gratitude to Miles and Grace is mainly for their central roles in building a strong system of Christian education and training in the New England area. Many of us have benefited from their faithfulness and encouragement.
Conrad Johanson, East Greenwich, RI
CHS Class of 1960
I'm late posting here, but I just received word of Miles' passing from my sister, a Wheaton grad, who read it in an alumni newsletter. I recall so fondly the summer of 1965, when I traveled by train and bus from southern California to New Hampshire to be the athletic director at Brookwoods. Miles was such a great leader--he was always firm, yet always fair. I was majoring in accounting at UCLA at the time, but ended up going into youth ministry for 22 years (followed by a senior pastorate), and much of what influenced me (and prepared me!) for that ministry was that summer at Brookwoods. I thank Miles and the staff for taking a chance on a total stranger from clear across the country--I'll never forget the people and experiences of that summer!
Rick Smith
Davenport, IA
I knew Miles as a child at Brookwoods for four summers in the late 60's before moving to the west coast. I was surprised at the emotion I felt when opening theGlobe and seeing his obituary and photograph. Very fond memories of a giant of a man; and very large hole in so many hearts at his passing. Fly balls for free cokes, pointing with knuckles to signify which tables could be dismissed, paddling for lost items (doubt they do that anymore)hooking up a grainy TV screen to watch the first moon walk, and a presence that all have appreciated in these messages. Blessings to the Strodels in this time of grief; and blessings for sharing such a man with the rest of us.
I was saddened to read of Miles' passing in the Granite State News yesterday. During the mid-1970's, I was a collegue of Grace's at LCA (she made he BEST lemon bread ever!)and math teacher of Donna (such neat penmanship--hers were papers I looked forward to grading!)but, before that, I was a math/teaching student at Gordon College. Miles was my Student Teaching Mentor. I recall seeing his tall figure shadowed in the hallway at Masconomet Regional High School when he would come to give a critique of my young endeavors. I recall, too, that he seemed almost as nervous as I was when the classroom teacher would review my efforts--it was as though Miles wanted me to do well as much as I did, that he rejoiced in my successes and understood my mistakes as I went through the student-teaching process. He truly was a teacher to his soul, and he was very much a part of the teacher I became. I hope he would have been proud.
For the past 20 summers, I, with my husband, have been on the staff of neighboring Camp Belknap; driving by the Brookwoods/Deer Run driveway, I always remember the Strodels and will continue to send my prayers their way.
Elaine Young Giggi
Miles and Grace, you have been the giants of CHS/LCA and seen it and us through the bad times and the good. You have been influential in many of the key decisions we made and spent time with us when it cost greatly and other times when it was just fun. In the 1950's, when the school was surviving on a daily basis, you sacrificed much of yourself to see it though. We thank you for your kindness and we look forward to seeing you again in Heaven.
The passing of Miles Strodel is the passing of a giant. As a Christian leader, Miles’ life spoke volumes in influencing thousands of young people like myself. During my impressionable teen years, no one had a greater character forming impact on my life as coach, mentor, teacher and friend than Miles.
Following my four years at Christian High School (LCA) I wanted to go to Wheaton College and Gordon Divinity School largely because Miles had followed that educational path. At Camp Sandy Hill and Brookwoods, I spent nine memorable summers with Miles and Grace in Christian camping, the final four summers newly married to Polly. The Strodels were great role models for Polly and me in those early years of marriage, one of the reasons we have now enjoyed more than fifty years of marriage together.
The many experiences I had with Miles as a young man helped to confirm and shape my life’s calling of being a Christian teacher. This exciting privilege of being an educator, influenced by Miles many years ago, I have now carried out as a professor of biblical studies on the college level for the past forty-five years (eight at Barrington College and thirty-seven at Gordon College).
We are all saddened at the loss of Miles, and we pray for God’s comfort for Grace and the family. As we reflect on the loss of Miles, we are reminded that only Heaven knows the countless numbers of young and old Miles touched for Christ and His kingdom through his gifts and life of service so unselfishly and freely dedicated to Him.
Thank you, Miles for a life well lived. And thank you, Lord, for sharing him with us.
Marv Wilson CHS ‘53
I don't remember when I frist met Uncle miles but I would guess I was 5 or 6 years old. At the age of 8 I came to camp for the first time as a camper and spent a month trying to keep warm durring swimming lessons. Miles was much larger than life to me as a boy. He was gruff like an old bear some times but I could tell that he loved God and the people around him and that he was good. Not soft or wishywashy but good. As the summers when by I did not get to spend much one on one time with Miles but I rember one event that was notable. I was at camp the last two weeks and my older Sister Marianne who was on staff was going to drive me home. I ended up at the staff dinner out at Yokins. I was 11 or 12 at the time and not quite shure what I was doing there. Uncle Miles bought me a lobster to eat for my supper. It was a small thing in some ways but it was a big gift to me as it told me that I had a place and was known. Over the summers and years Uncle Miles sat at the helm of Brookwoods. He seemed like a rock in a changing world. After completing my CIT years I worked on staff for him. He was like an icon of enduring service over the 14 summers I spent at Camp. Seing him always remineded me of the call to be light in the world for the days that we are given.
I remember a 'minor incident' that came about at Christian High. A few of us were summoned to Miles' office when the 'incident' surfaced. He told us we needed to go home and tell our parents about it, because he would be calling them. We all went home and cautiously relayed what had gone on, but Mr. Strodel never called any parents. So we had each cooked our goose! Sometime later I asked him why he didn't call, and he told me with a chuckle that he knew we would take care of it for him.
Miles Strodel was our Headmaster, our teacher, our friend and example, and I am very grateful for the significant impact he has had on my life.
The Strodel Family entered my life when I was 4 years old and Donna an I went to nursery school together. Years went by and then I had the privilege of attending LCA and being in Donna's class. She is the one who led me to Christ. Although 30 years has passed since that time I hold you all close in my heart.I remember being at a slumber party on Lillian Rd being entertained by Miles doing "double talk." Grace, you have always made me feel like one of your daughters. The legacy of your family will be beyond measure. I feel I can see the Lord's finger prints in my memories of your family in my life
With much love,
Jen Stumpp Hevenor
When I think of Uncle Miles, I think of one word: INTEGRITY. His love for the Lord, his love of life and his love for people was remarkable. I spent 14 summers at camp and when I became a counselor, I remember how Miles used to talk to the staff and encourage to be people of excellence. He gave us a handout that I have held on to these past 15 years.
– Ted W. Engstrom From
“Motivation to Last a Lifetime”
The world needs People Who...
Cannot be bought;
Whose word is their bond;
Put character above wealth;
Possess opinions and a will;
Are larger than their vocations;
Do not hesitate to take chances;
Will not lose their individuality in a crowd;
Will be as honest in small things as in great things;
Will make no compromise with wrong;
Ambitions are not confined to their own selfish desires;
Will not say do it ‘because everybody else does it;’
Are trusted by their friends through good report and evil report, in adversity as well as prosperity;
Do not believe that shrewdness, cunning and hardheadedness are the best qualities for winning success;
Are not ashamed or afraid to stand for the truth when it is unpopular;
Can say “no” with emphasis, although all the rest of the world says, “yes”.
Miles embodied the words written above. He was a man of character and his impact will carry on for generations to come. He lived a beautiful life on earth and I know that he is rejoicing with the Lord in heaven.
Debbie Klauder Gilchrist
Camp Brookwoods played a major role during my teen years in my development as a man and as a Christian. Learning the skills of the outdoors - hiking, swimming, canoeing, camping, sailing - under the leadership of so many strong men of Christian character made a powerful impression on me and changed the course of my life. I wanted to be like the men who were my counselors and teachers. And at the head of that group, the man whose keen eye hand picked the Brookwoods staff and who set the program and standards for everything that went on was Miles Strodel. Miles was, is and always will be Brookwoods to me.
He had a gift for discerning talent and heart. He was a quick study of a young man's motives and passions. My early memories as an 18 year old cabin counselor in the mid 60's was that he had given me things to do without knowing whether I could do them. In fact I doubted I could do what he had asked me to do until ... I did them. He may have been the first person who trusted me with responsibility without giving me a lecture about it. Somehow he knew he was going to get a return on his investment of trust. Talk about confidence building!
Naturally, when the time came I entrusted my daughters into this man's camp oversight and if the Lord wills it I will see my grandchildren also benefit from the lessons still available at Camp Brookwoods and Dear Run. Because Miles trusted and mentored so many, his legacy is that 'excellence in camping' will continue long after his passing.
My prayers and thoughts are with the Strodel family during this difficult time. Yet, I know you find comfort in Gordon MacDonald's expression of 'grieving in victory' that Miles has been lifted up to be with the Lord. It'll be my great joy some day to shag flies for Uncle Miles in heaven's outfield.
God bless,
Peter Brown
The service for Miles earlier today touched me deeper than I ever imagined. Rarely have I been moved to tears of both joy and sadness at the same time. What a remarkable tribute to this giant of a man. Thank you Grace, Bob, David, and Donna for the chance to
hold Miles so close to our hearts. While we miss him we also see, so clearly, that his work continues.
Love and Peace,
Chip Lamb
Brookwoods
'65-'74
He was a wonderful man.I came across on the camp america programme to brookwoods in 88 and 89.He was a real giant of a man.I can remember phoning him before the camping season of 89 saying that I couldn't make it for the first week of camp.I was prepared for him to say no but he simply said we will see you the second week of camp.I had 2 marvellous summers @ Brookwoods and he and Aunt Grace were like family in their care and attention.
I worked as counselor for two years at Brookwoods (82, 84). Those were two wonderful, stretching summers and Miles played a central role in my formation as a man and currently as a teacher.
Miles had the unique gift of a wonderful sense of humor combined with a profound knowledge of God, the character of people and an ability to allow people to thrive using their personal gifts. He took life seriously, but not too seriously. He could lay the down the law, but he could also pat you on the back and pick you up off the floor.
I will always remember "Milisms" - Mandribels and provoscases... Whatever that meant!
God Bless you Dave, Donna and Grace.
Steve Hunt
I met Miles and Grace when I first came to New Hampshire to visit Wendy Byker. I was somewhat nervous meeting lots of new people. Miles and Grace made me feel completely at home, and welcomed me into the Brookwoods family. I was much sadened when I heard of his death, the world is a poorer place without him.
Guy Wood
Miles - you were such a charismatic, strong, open, warm and special person. You were a true leader who led from the front and by example. You showed compassion, kindness and love and will remain in my heart and memories forever. I am truelly sadened to read of your passing and send Grace the biggest hug all the way from Scotland. In the words of the Celtic Blessing "may the Saints and Saviour watch over you." Love , Elyse (McFarlane) Kirkham
My name is David Smith I grew up in Worcester, MA and my family and I live in the St. Louis area but get back to Chatham on Cape Cod every summer. I was a camper for multiple years at Camp Brookwoods in the early to mid 1960's. I can remember the first time as youngster meeting Miles and seeing his arm and being scared of him because of it. His quite Godly demeanor quickly got me over it. Who can ever forget the Sunday night vespers? Coming from a family who regularly attended church yet not faith oriented it was Miles and one certain cabin counselor (Peter ?)who through their lifestyle and relational evangelism allowed me the privilege of accepting Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior and some 40 years later I am still in his loving arms.
Miles Strodel was a man of unquestioned integrity, honesty and humility. Something we all should aspire toward and he had it all in one complete package.
I have one other story I want to share about Miles. In one of the summers I cut my index finger cutting watermelon. Miles was so kind and considerate as he took me to the hospital to get stitched up. I will never for get the kindness he showed me that night.
Out of those vespers came my two most favorite Christian hymns which to this day still give me goosebumps when I sing or hear them: Rugged Cross and Onward Christian Solider.
So my brother in Christ your battle is won and mine is still evolving but the tings I learned from you I will never forget and cannot wait to say thanks when we meet again.
Blessings to all the Strodel family....you made a difference in my life and I( am sure countless others.
With joy and anticipation
David C. Smith
Post a Comment